Ordering your Michigan Traffic Accident Report
When you get into an auto accident, many thoughts probably run through your mind. Am I injured? Is anyone else injured? What happened?! I need to call the police. In the midst of this stressful time, it might not immediately occur to you to think about getting a copy of the accident report. But it’s definitely something you must remember to get, the sooner the better. If you are seriously injured or incapacitated after your auto accident, be sure to have a family member or representative get a copy of the report on your behalf.
Why is it important to get my car accident report?
- Your insurance company will probably ask for a copy of the report when you file your claim.
- You will need to make sure the accident report is accurate. If there are any discrepancies, they will need to be addressed with the law enforcement agency that responded to the crash.
- If and when you decide to bring suit for damages, per Michigan law, the accident report will form the basis of the foundation upon which your car accident attorneys will begin to build your case. This will be especially true if you are seeking to prove that the other driver was negligent or somehow at-fault. Remember: this won’t be relevant to any claim you make for no-fault PIP benefits with your own insurance company, but will be if seeking noneconomic damages (such as pain and suffering) or excess economic loss damages.
- Others involved in the accident will probably order the accident report as well, so as to begin defending themselves against potential claims that might arise. Also, although your car accident attorney will be able to request a copy of the accident report, requests are not always fulfilled as expeditiously as one might like. More importantly, you may not decide to seek legal representation immediately after the accident, which is all the more reason why you should order your accident report as soon as possible. When you do decide hire a lawyer, your legal team will need to hit the ground running, so having the accident report handy will be extremely helpful.
- If it’s an accident involving semi-trucks, time will be of the essence, as trucking companies’ insurance carriers and investigators move quickly to gather evidence and frame the narrative in such a way that will seek to minimize the level of liability or culpability ascribed to their driver. So, if you are involved in a semi-truck accident in Michigan, it is important that you secure your accident report and provide it to your attorney as soon as possible.
How do I order my accident report?
You may contact the law enforcement agency that responded to the traffic accident directly, or you may order your report online as long as you have the pertinent information. If you are in the greater Lansing or Grand Rapids areas, we have compiled a list of the local area agencies, accompanied by their contact information.
You may also order your report online. Note that there may be a small fee associated with these services. If you decide to order your report online, be sure you have sufficient information about the auto accident in order to find and purchase the report. This may include information about the driver(s) involved (i.e., their name(s)), the agency that responded to the accident, and the report number.
Here are two websites where you may order your traffic accident report:
If you have any questions about ordering your car accident report, or about your accident in general, do not hesitate to contact our Michigan no-fault attorneys.